Flag pole supports in 1916 at Muryangsa Temple in Buyeo, Chungcheongnam-do.
Hello Again Everyone!!
On the far western side of the Buyeo, Chungcheongnam-do city limits is Muryangsa Temple. Scenically situated in a long valley at the base of Mt. Mansusan, Muryangsa Temple has a long history that stretches back to the 9th century.
Muryangsa Temple was first built during the reign of King Munseong (r. 839-856) by the National Preceptor, Beomil. Later, and during the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392), the temple was later repaired. And in 1592, during the Imjin War (1592-98), Muryangsa Temple was destroyed by the invading Japanese. A half century later, and during the reign of King Injo (r. 1623-49), the temple was rebuilt by the monk Jinmuk.
In total, the temple houses five Korean Treasures, which notably includes Treasure #356, the Geukrak-jeon Hall at Muryangsa Temple, as well as Treasure #185, the Five Story Stone Pagoda of Muryangsa Temple. The temple was also the last home to the Joseon Korean scholar and author, Kim Siseup.
The five tier pagoda in 1916 that also just so happens to be Treasure #185.
The stone lantern at Muryangsa Temple from 1916. It’s also Treasure #233.
The Geukrak-jeon Hall in 1933. The main hall is also Treasure #356.
The exterior to the main hall from 1933.
A look inside the main hall from 1933. The triad inside this hall is Treasure #1565.
The Geukrak-jeon main hall with the five tier pagoda and stone lantern from 2015.
A closer look at the main all, which also just so happens to be Treasure #356.
The large triad on the main altar inside the Geukrak-jeon Hall. This triad is Treasure #1565.
One more look at Korean Treasure #356.